This salad is full of mushrooms, pickled red onion, hard-boiled eggs and bacon. It will be your new go-to salad for lunch or dinner.
Making a salad for dinner is the perfect solution for a busy weeknight meal. Often, by the time we get home from work, the last thing we want to do is cook and clean up a big meal.
Boston lettuce salad with warm bacon vinaigrette
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Serves 4 as an appetizer and 2 as a meal
- 4 ounces Boston lettuce
- 2 large mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup pickled red onion
- 1 large egg, hard-boiled, chilled, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 pieces thick-sliced bacon (about 4 ounces), finely diced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place Boston lettuce in a large serving bowl.
- Sprinkle sliced mushrooms, red onion and coins of hard-boiled egg over lettuce.
- In a large skillet, fry bacon bits over medium-high heat until they’re brown and crispy and have rendered their fat.
- Use a slotted spoon to scoop the bacon out of the skillet and spread them on a piece of paper towel briefly before sprinkling them over the salad.
- Pour out all but 2 tablespoons of hot bacon fat from the skillet. Reheat over medium and quickly whisk in the red wine vinegar, honey and Dijon.
- Pour over entire salad and season salt and pepper.
- Toss gently and serve hot.