Who says grilled cheese sandwiches are only for lunch? Make an indulgent breakfast version with eggs and ham, plus waffles instead of sliced bread. It’s an all-in-one morning time treat!
Wondering what to do with all that leftover ham from the holidays? Eat it for breakfast! The whole family will love these waffle grilled cheese sandwiches, so pull out that waffle iron and put it to good use. If you’re short on time, you can even substitute frozen waffles — we won’t tell!
Ham, egg and cheese waffle sandwich recipe
- 2 spicy cheddar cheese waffles (see recipe below)
- Sliced cheese (cheddar, Monterey Jack or pepper Jack)
- Sliced ham
- 1 egg
- Cover one waffle with sliced cheese, then layer sliced ham on top. Place other waffle on top of ham. Butter both outer sides of the sandwich.
- Melt a small amount of butter in a pan over medium heat. Fry an egg to desired doneness. Remove and reserve.
- Quickly place waffle sandwich into the same pan, cheesy side on the bottom. When cheese is starting to melt and waffle is browned and crisp, flip over. Cook until browned and crisp on other side. Remove from pan.
- Lift one side of the sandwich and place the fried egg in the middle. Replace waffle and cut open.
Spicy cheddar cheese waffles
Yields 4-6, depending on size of waffle iron
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Whisk milk, egg and oil together in a large bowl. Add flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Mix until just combined. Stir in cheese and cayenne pepper.
- Heat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions. Pour appropriate amount of batter into waffle iron and close lid. Cook waffles until browned and crisp.
- Keep waffles in a 200 degree F oven until ready to use.
To taste the seasonings of your waffles, cook a small spoonful of batter in the waffle iron. Adjust with more salt or cayenne pepper, as needed.