Smoky paprika pork stuffed calzones
These simple calzones are a twist on your classic Italian treat. Ground pork, chorizo, smoked paprika and sweet onions are all packed into one delicious handheld flavor packet.
Looking to switch things up a little? These flavorful calzone packets will keep you full and happy! A delicious mixture of ground pork, chorizo, red bell pepper and sweet onions. It's all sprinkled with smoky paprika, mixed with sharp cheddar cheese and baked into one delicious dinner pastry packet. It may not be a traditional Italian calzone, but it's just as delicious!
Smoky paprika pork calzone recipe
Yields 2 large or 4 small calzones
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage, casing removed and chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2-1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound fresh pizza dough
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large skillet add ground pork, chorizo sausage, red bell pepper, onion, smoked paprika, pepper and salt. Cook until meat is browned and vegetables are soft. Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute to release flavors. Take off heat while you prepare the dough.
- Cut your dough ball in half or fourths, depending on how many calzones you would like. Stretch out dough, add equal amount of filling to the bottom half of your stretched out dough.
- Top with equal amount of cheese, cover the top of the filling with dough, crimp the edges and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cut a slit into the top of the calzone.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until crust is brown and delicious.