Classic cooking lightened up: Homemade chocolate pudding
Oh yes! Nothing says winter like homemade warm pudding. Plus, because we have cut down on the fat, it's a perfect new year dessert.
There is no need to buy premade pudding. This simple recipe gives you homemade pudding in less than 30 minutes, and it's low in fat! Who's not looking to cut the fat after the holidays? The best part is that it can be eaten warm or chilled. Whatever you prefer!
Low-fat chocolate pudding recipe
- 2-1/4 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 2/3 cup unsweetened quality cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, almond, coconut or orange extract
- In a medium-sized saucepan add 1-1/2 cups low-fat milk, 1/3 cup sugar and kosher salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- In a large bowl whisk together remaining sugar, cocoa powder and cornstarch. Add in remaining milk and mix till combined. Slowly whisk in in warmed milk/sugar mixture and mix till combined.
- Add mixture back to saucepan and cook over medium heat till thick and shiny.
- Whisk egg in a small bowl and slowly (while continually whisking) add in about 1 cup of the hot cocoa mixture. Keep whisking till combined and then add that mixture back to pan and set over medium heat on the stovetop.
- Cook for about 2 minutes until thick, stir in desired extract and serve warm.