This kicked-up cream cheese pie is perfect for the holidays. Featuring cream cheese filling in a graham cracker crust and cherries spiced with a touch of cayenne pepper, your dinner guests will come back for seconds (and maybe thirds — make two, just to be safe).
Bring this cream cheese pie to the next holiday party you attend to give your friends an unexpected surprise. Just don’t forget to bring the recipe with you. They’re going to ask!
Cream cheese pie with cayenne-spiced cherries recipe
Cream cheese pie:
- 2 (8 ounce) packages Neufchatel cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 (9 inch) graham cracker crust
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (or from tube)
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch clove (optional)
- 1 pinch cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix Neufchatel cheese, orange zest, vanilla and eggs until smooth (there may be small beads of cheese).
- Pour the mixture into the unbaked graham cracker crust.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix all the ingredients for the cherry topping in a medium bowl. Do not adjust the flavors as they will change after the topping sits for a while.
- When the pie is done baking, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool completely. Then place the pie and the filling in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day (or right before you’re ready to serve it), taste the topping to ensure it has the right amount of spice. You can add a little extra of any spice you like.
- Spoon the cherry topping over the pie carefully. Serve cold.