Whether you’re serving ham, roast or turkey, this bacon-cornbread stuffing will be a hit at your holiday table, with sweet and salty flavors that will have your guests craving seconds.
Stuffing is a staple at all holiday dinners, but we changed things up a bit here with some unique ingredients. Sweet cornbread, dried figs soaked in brandy and tart pomegranate arils pair wonderfully with the salty flavor of the bacon.
Bacon-cornbread stuffing with dried figs and pomegranate arils recipe
- 6 cups crumbled cornbread
- 6 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup chopped leeks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped dried figs
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 tablespoon brandy or cognac
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth (plus more if needed)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
- Chopped parsley (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking pan (or similar sized ovenproof dish).
- In a small bowl, combine chopped figs and brandy. Toss well.
- Spread cornbread on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and reserve.
- Cook bacon over medium heat until brown but not crisp. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving about 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in pan. Add celery, shallots and leeks to pan, sauteing until softened. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add bacon, figs and pine nuts to pan. Toss well.
- Remove pan from heat. Fold in cornbread, cheese and pomegranate arils. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Pour 1 cup of chicken broth evenly over stuffing. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Uncover, dot with butter, then bake for 15-20 minutes or until top is browned. (If stuffing looks too dry at any point, add an extra drizzle of chicken broth.)
- Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
Tip: To make this dish ahead, prepare through step 6. Let cool and refrigerate. When ready to cook, remove from refrigerator about 1 hour ahead, then proceed with step 7.