Meatless Monday: Creamy cauliflower gratin
You may want to break out this recipe for a special occasion or for the holidays, because creamy cauliflower gratin certainly is special.
Meatless Monday meals don't have to be drab. You may find yourself looking for a special-occasion dish on a Monday, and creamy cauliflower gratin would certainly be a great choice! Served in individual ramekins filled with cauliflower and a creamy, cheesy sauce, then topped with seasoned and golden breadcrumbs, this dish is a delight for a Monday or any other day of the week.
Creamy cauliflower gratin recipe
- 1 small head cauliflower (use just 2/3 of the cauliflower for this recipe and save the rest to snack on)
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus 1 tablespoon, and extra for buttering the ramekins
- 1-1/2 tablespoons flour
- 3 ounces of shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Butter 4 individual ramekins and set aside.
- Rinse the cauliflower and cut it into bite-sized florets. You'll use 2/3 of the head for this recipe.
- Cook the cauliflower in a pan of boiling water (or steam it), until it's tender (about 6-8 minutes). Drain, and divide evenly between the ramekins. Season each portion with the salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the microwave, remove and mix in the breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- In a saute pan, heat the olive oil, and add the shallot and garlic, and cook for a few minutes until the shallot softens. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Melt the 3 tablespoons of butter in a small pan, and whisk in the flour. Cook on low heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens.
- A little at a time, add the milk and cream to the butter mixture, whisking constantly, and cook for just a few minutes.
- Remove the cream mixture from the heat and add the cheese, shallot, and garlic, and mix well.
- Evenly divide the cream mixture, pouring it over the cauliflower in each ramekin. Top with the breadcrumbs and bake for about 8-10 minutes or until the breadcrumbs turn golden.
- Allow to cool slightly, but serve warm.
Creamy goodness, perfect for a special meal!