Apricot spice squares make a great gluten-free treat, perfect for the holiday season! Think of them as a type of fruitcake without the funkiness.
If you like ginger, this is the gluten-free treat for you for the holiday season. The ginger and bits of dried apricot make these squares great on their own or served with a warm cup of tea or big glass of milk. If you like the zing of ginger, keep the recipe as-is, but if you want a bit of a milder version, cut the amount of ginger in half. Experiment by adding different types of dried fruit and even nuts. Think of it as a type of fruitcake that everyone will enjoy!
Apricot spice squares recipe
Yields about 20 squares
- 2 cups gluten-free baking flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger (1 teaspoon for a less-spicy version)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup sliced dried apricots
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with the nonstick spray and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, ginger and cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, mix together the egg, molasses, vanilla and brown sugar until well creamed.
- A little at a time, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. When you’re halfway through, add in the apricots and combine thoroughly.
- The dough will turn out a bit like cookie dough. Place the dough into the pan and, using your hands, spread the dough out and press lightly with your hands (you may want to lightly spray them with a bit of the nonstick spray).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. The center should be soft.
- Remove and rest the pan on a baking rack and allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.
- Once cut, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
Here’s to yummy treats!
More gluten-free goodies to try
Mixed berry pecan crisps
Decadent raisin truffles
Glazed orange chiffon cake
Leave a Comment