It’s a great time for soup! Don’t stick to the standard stuff from a can. Instead, explore some great, gluten-free options like onion soup with herbed croutons.
You might be familiar with French onion soup — the classic dish served in many restaurants topped with melted, gooey cheese. This recipe for gluten-free onion soup is similar and quite easy to make. Use this SheKnows recipe to make gluten-free herbed croutons to top off the soup. You’ll be delighted with this dish!
Easy onion soup
- 5 medium-size white onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces, then cut in half
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 cups gluten-free vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 ounces shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese, for topping
- Gluten-free herbed croutons, for topping
- Preheat your oven to 410 degrees F.
- Put the onions, carrots and garlic in a large bowl and toss with the olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet in the oven and cook for about 25 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- When finished cooking, put the vegetables in a large soup pan and add the wine, broth and thyme.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes.
- Season the mixture, then use an immersion blender to carefully blend the soup until it is smooth (you could use a regular blender and work to blend in batches).
- Slowly add the heavy cream to the mixture and mix well.
- Serve in individual bowls, and allow each person to top the soup with cheese and the gluten-free herbed croutons.
Soup this simple and tasty is ideal!