Take traditional cookies and add your own twist. This recipe for oatmeal apple cookies does just that, simply by replacing raisins for apples!
For people with celiac disease, or those with a gluten intolerance, oats are off-limits. Fortunately, you can find gluten-free rolled oats that most all people can enjoy. Bob’s Red Mill offers many gluten-free products that make baking (and eating) a true joy for all!
This recipe was adapted slightly from Bob’s Red Mill, using three of its products: gluten-free rolled oats, gluten-free all-purpose baking flour, and xanthan gum. Many stores now carry these products, or you can visit Bob’s Red Mill to find them. These cookies are chewy and full of great flavor — perfect with a glass of milk. Bake eight cookies to a baking sheet, since they spread out as they bake.
Oatmeal apple cookies
Yields approximately 4 dozen
- 1-1/2 gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup gluten-free dried apple, diced (or you can use fresh apples, peeled and diced)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Parchment paper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line your baking sheets with the parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a mixer to beat the sugars and butter together. Then, add the vanilla and eggs and blend until mixed thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, xanthan gum, cinnamon, salt and baking soda, and blend well.
- A little at a time, combine the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture, stirring to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Finally, add the rolled oats and apple to the mixture.
- Drop the dough by a heaping tablespoon onto the baking sheets. (I recommend baking 8 cookies per baking sheet because they spread out while baking).
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until lightly golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
These cookies are a welcome treat!