Peppermint stick frozen yogurt
Frozen yogurt is not just for summer! This simple recipes takes the flavors of summer and the flavors of winter and mixes the two! Crunchy bits of peppermint swirl in a delicious frozen yogurt base.
Just because it's cold doesn't mean you can't enjoy a big bowl of frozen yogurt! That's right. Frozen yogurt even in December! Especially when it's been flavored with crushed peppermint sticks. It's the perfect Christmastime treat. The best part about a simple recipe like this is that it can be customized to include just about anything! If you are looking for a super flavorful minty frozen yogurt, just substitute peppermint extract for the vanilla paste. It will be sure to add that extra minty flavor you are looking for. Some other great additions are: peppermint patties, miniature chocolate chips or even hot fudge!
Peppermint stick frozen yogurt recipe
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 large egg whites (room temperature)
- 3-1/2 cups cold plain full-fat yogurt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla paste (or extract)
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint sticks
- In a small saucepan, combine water and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat. When sugar comes to a full boil, continue to boil for about 1 minute. Keep a careful eye on it, because sugar can burn very easily!
- While the sugar boils, beat egg whites to soft peaks in a large mixing bowl. When the sugar is ready, continue beating the eggs at a low speed and very slowly stream in the hot sugar. When all the sugar has been incorporated, turn up mixer to high and beat until the eggs are glossy (it will turn into a meringue) and has cooled down to room temperature.
- Fold cold yogurt and vanilla paste into the meringue.
- Pour yogurt mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
- Once frozen yogurt has reached soft serve consistency, stir in crushed peppermint sticks and freeze in a plastic freezer container.
To add a ripple of hot fudge, simply add 1/3 cup hot fudge to the bottom of your freezer container, add half the frozen yogurt, drizzle with 1/3 cup additional hot fudge, add the rest of the frozen yogurt and swirl with a knife before freezing.