No one said cake is just for dessert! This cake uses fresh cranberries and is perfect for breakfast! That’s right, cake for breakfast.
Mornings can be crazy! Why not sweeten them up with a little slice of fresh cake? That’s right. Cake for breakfast. It’s better than a doughnut and even a little healthier. Plus, this cake uses fresh cranberries. They are easy to find during the winter and super fresh. It’s the perfect weekend treat!
Cranberry breakfast cake recipe
Adapted lightly from Alexandra’s Kitchen
Yields 9 x 9-inch cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- Zest from 1 orange (or use 3 clementines)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9 x 9-inch pan with nonstick spray. Set aside until ready to fill.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer add butter, orange zest and sugar. Beat until blended and fluffy. Add in egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. In another small bowl add fresh cranberries and toss with 1 tablespoon flour. This will help so the berries do not sink to the bottom of the batter.
- Slowly incorporate flour while alternating additions with buttermilk. Once all ingredients have been mixed in, fold in cranberries.
- Press batter into greased 9 x 9-inch pan and sprinkle the top with 1 tablespoon coarse sugar. Bake for 35-45 minutes until center comes out clean when tested with a toothpick.
- Let cool and enjoy!
If you have never used fresh cranberries you must be prepared that they are a bit tart. We think the balance of sweetness to tartness is perfect but feel free to sprinkle on more sugar if you like a sweeter cake.