As wonderful as the holiday season is on our spirits and our moods, it’s less than wonderful on our waistlines. You know what we are talking about, that unexpected five-pound weight gain come January first. Since you can’t avoid all of the decadent food, why not swap in some lighter fare, too? Instead of mashed potatoes, serve up this incredibly delicious (and low-fat) mashed cauliflower with jalapeño and roasted garlic recipe!
You heard us, mashed cauliflower. Before you go running for the hills, give us a chance to explain. When you puree cauliflower, you get the same mashed consistency as you would with potatoes. Except, you save more than 60 calories per serving. A sinfully tasting side dish that still gives you the freedom to wear pants without elastic? That’s a win-win for us.
Mashed roasted cauliflower with garlic & jalapeños
Serves about 4
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, broken up
- 1 large jalapeño, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place cauliflower florets, jalapeño, garlic and olive oil in a glass-baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, stir mixture around and bake for another 15 minutes, or until cauliflower is golden brown.
- Remove all the vegetables from the pan and place in a large food processor. Add cream, butter and salt and pepper. Pulse on low until mixture is pureed.
- Serve warm with a dash of butter and enjoy!