Spicy nut brittle party favors
For a quick-and-easy last minute holiday treat or party favor, try spicy nut brittle. It’s sweet and salty; with a little kick of cayenne pepper. You won’t be able to stop after one bite!
Holiday dinners can be heavy and filling, leaving little room for a rich dessert. Instead, give your guests the option of taking home their sweet treat in the form of homemade edible party favors in festive cellophane bags. This spicy nut brittle with almonds, cashews and pecans is a fun twist on classic peanut brittle.
Spicy nut brittle
Makes about 1 pound
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder (or regular chili powder)
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted almonds
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted cashews
- 1/2 cup pecans
- Cooking spray
- Line a baking sheet with foil, then spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine corn syrup, sugar and water in a three-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, swirling the pot occasionally to stir. Let boil until mixture is an amber color, about eight minutes.
- Quickly stir in butter, baking soda, cayenne pepper and ancho chili powder. Remove from heat once butter is melted and immediately stir in nuts. Quickly coat nuts completely.
- Scrape the mixture onto prepared baking sheet and quickly spread into a thin layer. (A metal spoon sprayed with nonstick cooking spray works best to spread the brittle.)
- Let cool for about 30 minutes. When completely cool, break into pieces. Store in an airtight container. Do not refrigerate.
- To make party favors, place in cellophane bags and tie with a ribbon.