This Bundt cake uses a simple boxed cake mix to keep things easy. The apple cider caramel sauce is what makes it special. Easy and delicious all at the same time, this cake never disappoints.
With all of the delicious holiday meals follows delicious holiday desserts. This cake is super easy since it uses a simple boxed spice cake mix. The homemade apple cider caramel sauce is also super easy but tastes like it took hours to prepare. Your guests will never know how easy this cake is to pull together. (I won’t tell if you won’t.)
Spice cake with apple cider caramel sauce
For the cake
- 1 Bundt cake pan, greased or buttered
- 1 box of spice cake mix
For the caramel sauce
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh apple cider
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Prepare the cake according to the directions on the package. Add the batter to the greased Bundt pan and bake as directed. Remove the cake from the oven and cool completely.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the brown sugar and water stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved. Keep cooking the mixture until it turns to a deep amber color, stirring constantly so that it does not burn. Remove from the heat and slowly add the apple cider, the cream, the vinegar, vanilla and salt. Be very careful as this hot mixture will bubble up as the other ingredients are added.
- Return the pan to the heat and wisk the caramel sauce for 2 to 3 minutes to make sure all the ingredients are combined. Remove and set aside, allowing to it to cool slightly.
- With a spoon drizzle half of the caramel sauce over the top of the cake. Place a slice of the spice cake on a plate and garnish with the extra caramel sauce. Serve immediately.