Not just a side dish to turkey, cranberries go great with dessert, too! See for yourself: Check out this recipe for crimson cranberry-orange tart.
Bright, beautiful and delicious, this crimson cranberry-orange tart is the perfect treat for a Thanksgiving dessert. Sometimes cranberries get relegated to relish or simply tossed into muffins, but this dessert adds a nice flair to family gatherings and holiday celebrations. Serve it topped with whipped cream or your favorite vanilla ice cream.
Crimson cranberry-orange tart recipe
- 1 prepared refrigerated pie crust, set out to room temperature
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, divided
- 2 large oranges, peeled, sectioned and pith removed, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Zest from one orange
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat your oven according to pie crust package directions. Gently lay the pie crust into a 9-inch tart pan, pressing the dough up the sides of the pan. Remove any overhanging dough.
- Prick the base of the crust with a fork several times. Bake according to package directions, or until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine the oranges, half the cranberries, sugar, orange juice and ginger.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries open and the orange pieces dissolve.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the orange zest and the remaining cranberries, and allow the mixture to cool.
- Once cooled, spoon into the tart shell and chill until ready to serve.
- Serve with your favorite vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
This dessert is sweet, tart and delicious!