Enjoy a glazed lemon poppy seed muffin for breakfast with a cup of coffee. It’s like dessert for breakfast!
Light and lemony
This recipe yields a moist and rich muffin that is more like cake and can serve as breakfast or dessert. Top with a sweet and tart lemon glaze for the perfect finishing touch.
Glazed lemon poppy seed muffin recipe
Recipe adapted from The Sweeter Side of Amy’s Bread
Yields 12 large muffins
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1-1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Position one rack in the middle of the oven, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with muffin papers.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix until fully combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the poppy seeds, lemon zest, lemon juice and almond extract. Add to the butter mixture and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and whisk together. Add half of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix slowly until almost combined.
- Add the sour cream, and mix until almost combined.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix just combined. Do not overmix the batter. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 16 minutes, rotating the pan from front to back halfway through. Check muffins by inserting a toothpick into the center. If it doesn’t come out clean, bake for 3 to 5 more minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake!
- While the muffins are baking, make the glaze. Combine the lemon juice and sugar in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth. Just as the muffins are removed from the oven, brush the lemon glaze generously over each one.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove them from the pan and place on a wire rack.