These intensely rich and chocolaty brownies get a flavor boost from brown butter.
Rich chocolaty bites
Grab a glass of milk — you’ll need it for these brownies! Brown butter, chocolate and walnuts combine to make one decadent dessert.
Brown butter brownie recipe
Recipe adapted from The Catalyst: Cupcakes Blog
- 1 stick + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teapoon espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablspoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
- In a small bowl combine sugar, cocoa powder, espresso powder and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl whisk together eggs, water and vanilla.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat melt butter. When it starts to foam, slowly stir for 2-4 minutes until you brown bits of butter forming in the bottom of the pan. Remove pan from heat.
- Add dry mixture to butter and stir until combined. It will look gritty. Let mixture cool for 5 minutes.
- After cooling, add in half of the egg mixture. Stir until well combined. Add the remaining egg mixture and stir until well combined.
- Add flour and stir vigorously for 20 strokes, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Stir for another 20 strokes. The mixture should be glossy and smooth.
- Lightly fold in the nuts and white chocolate chips. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into center comes out nearly clean. Brownies will be fudgy.
- Cool completely before cutting, about 2-3 hours.