Mushroom farro salad is a healthy side dish and a flavorful alternative to boring leafy green salads.
Spruce up a
Mushroom farro salad
Recipe adapted from Allan Shewchuk
Makes 8 servings
- 4 cups farro
- 2 pounds wild mushrooms, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Lemon juice
- 1/2 cup pecorino cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup arugula or mixed greens
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, cover farro with one inch of cold water and soak for 20 minutes. Drain well and return to pan, then cover with more cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower heat and cover. Cook for 20 minutes.
- While farro is cooking, toss mushrooms with olive oil and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- When farro is cooked, drain well and spread on a baking sheet to cool. When mushrooms are cooked, also spread on baking sheet to cool.
- When farro and mushrooms are at room temperature, combine in a serving bowl. Drizzle with lemon juice, cheese, toasted pine nuts, arugula or mixed greens and season to taste with salt and pepper.