An edible white gourd, formed out of cheese, adds a whimsical and delicious touch to your upcoming holiday cheese tray!
Three crowd-pleaser cheeses: sharp white cheddar, cream cheese and goat cheese, all come together with a few pantry spices to form this white gourd cheese ball your family and guests will devour!
White gourd cheese ball
Serves approximately 8 as part of an appetizer tray
- 8 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 1 (4-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 3-1/2 to 4 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pear, for the stem of the gourd
- Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. With a strong plastic or silicon mixing spoon/spatula, mix cheeses and spices together very well.
- Once all ingredients are incorporated, spoon cheese mixture out onto two pieces of overlapping plastic wrap. Gather up the cheese in the plastic wrap by pulling up the wrap around the cheese.
- Form cheese mixture into a ball shape, smoothing it the best you can. Gently unwrap and smooth even more with a butter knife, if desired. Using the tip of a chopstick or knife, make ridge lines running vertically down the gourd to resemble a real gourd. Place a small hole in the top of the cheese gourd (this will be for placing its stem later).
- Rewrap your formed gourd in the plastic wrap and refrigerate at lease one hour.
- Take your pear and carefully cut a small triangular shape resembling a stem.
- When ready to serve, place the small pear slice in the top as the stem (a braided pretzel works too) and serve your cheese ball on a tray with your favorite crackers, jams, fruits, vegetables, meats and nuts.