You can’t have Thanksgiving without a big basket of fresh rolls, biscuits or croissants, right? Add some variety to that bread basket by including a dozen of these flaky, melt-in-your-mouth delicious pumpkin spice biscuits!
The addition of the pumpkin and the spices makes this recipe perfect for Thanksgiving and other holiday meals. Not only are these incredible, they are lighter than most biscuits since they are made with half applesauce! We recommend serving them right out of the oven with a small pat of butter.
Pumpkin spice biscuits
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light
Yields about a dozen biscuits
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Dash of salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Additional 1/2 cup flour for kneading and rolling
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2) In a large bowl, mix flours, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt together. Using a pastry knife, cut in butter and applesauce until mixture resembles a coarse sand. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 10 minutes. Once chilled, mix in the buttermilk, canned pumpkin, honey and brown sugar until just combined.
3) Scoop dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead it about three or four times, adding extra flour because the dough will be a little moist. Once dough has been kneaded, flour a rolling pin.
Roll the dough out to about a one-half-inch thickness. Fold it over in half and re-roll it out to another one-half-inch thickness. Fold it over in half again and re-roll.
Repeat this one more time, this time rolling it out to about a three-quarters-inch thickness. Using a circular biscuit cutter or cookie cutter, cut out biscuits.
4) Place biscuits about one-inch apart on the prepared cooking sheet. Bake for about 12 to 14 minutes.
More biscuit recipes
Cheesy jalapeño biscuits
Strawberry cream cheese biscuits recipe
Seven Up biscuits recipe