Gluten-free and vegan mac and cheese
Forget everything you know about mac and cheese, because this recipe is about to blow your mind. Made with gluten-free noodles and flour and vegan cheese, this dairy and wheat-free mac is just as creamy, "cheesy" and decadent as your favorite cheese-filled recipe. Even if you're not a vegan or allergic to gluten, give it a try. It may just convert you.
Made on the stovetop and then baked to bubbly perfection, this mac and cheese has all of the flavors and gooey texture you love, just without all the dairy and wheat. Serve this side at your Thanksgiving dinner table or for your kids' dinner and watch people gobble it up, without a question. In fact, serve this up without telling anyone it's vegan or gluten-free and see if anyone even notices!
Vegan & gluten-free mac and cheese
Recipe adapted from The Gluten-Free Vegan
Serves about 6
- 14 ounces cooked gluten-free pasta (we used gluten-free tri-color shells)
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine (try Smart Balance)
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 2 cups nondairy milk (try unsweetened almond)
- 1-1/2 cup vegan mozzarella cheese, shredded (try Daiya)
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large pan, melt margarine. Add gluten-free flour and salt to create a roux. Slowly add milk and mix flour/margarine mixture in well. Reduce heat to medium and let sauce thicken. Once thick, remove from heat and stir in cheese and mix until melted. Add pasta to the sauce and mix to coat.
- Pour macaroni into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until bubbly.