Tonight's Dinner: Curried peach and shrimp salad recipe
Salads are a light and healthy dinner choice. And while chicken or steak are often used to make the salad a little heartier, shrimp is a wonderful alternative. Add in some fresh fruit, and you have a salad that's both sweet and savory.
Whenever it's been a hectic day of running around or chasing after the kiddies, the last thing I want to do is think about dinner. But since we all have to eat, I'm forced to burrow around in my fridge and find something that will cook up quick and fill everyone up until breakfast. It's on these nights that I throw together a quick salad because there's nothing easier or healthier than a big dinner salad.
While chicken and steak are usually my go-to proteins for a dinner salad, every so often I like to use shrimp because they're so yummy. But the shrimp also gets me that necessary dose of B vitamins and antioxidants. I usually just throw a handful of shrimp in with the other salad fixings and am completely satisfied. But then Sunset magazine suggested adding a couple peaches to the mix, and I was floored. Not only did I get the wonderful flavor from the shrimp, but now I had the added sweetness of the peach as well. The salad was out of this world and a combination I will definitely try again.
Curried peach and shrimp salad
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 peaches, chopped
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Boil the shrimp in a large pot of water until opaque, about one minute; drain, shock with cold water and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the peaches, onion, avocado, and lime juice to the bowl of shrimp.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the spices and cook for one minute. Pour the spiced oil over the shrimp mixture and toss to coat. Serve immediately.