We turned up the heat with this grilled cheese, adding classic ingredients like pickles, tomatoes and crunchy potato chips. This is the perfect sandwich for game day, a kid’s birthday party or a quick lunch.
Serve with soup
and it’s a meal deal
We used classic ridged potato chips in this sandwich, but any old chip will do! The crunch of the chip with the hot melted cheese is a match made in heaven. And don’t worry, the chips don’t get soggy!
Grilled cheese with tomato, pickles and potato chips
- 2 pieces bread
- 3 slices American cheese
- Thinly sliced pickles, dabbed dry
- 1 thin slice tomato
- Good handful of potato chips (Ridged chips work best)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Assemble sandwich bottom to top: one slice of bread, one slice of cheese, pickles, tomato slice, second slice of cheese, chips, last slice of cheese and top with slice of bread.
- Heat one-half tablespoon of butter in a pan over medium heat, once bubbling carefully add your sandwich.
- Lightly press the sandwich down with a spatula or pot lid just to apply a little pressure to the sandwich.
- After about three or four minutes, lift sandwich up, add the other one-half tablespoon of butter and flip the sandwich to grill the other side. (At this point you may want to turn the heat to low; you don’t want the sandwich to cook too quickly because you need the cheese to melt.)
- Again, apply light pressure to the sandwich.
- After another three or four minutes or so, turn off the heat. (If cheese still isn’t totally melted, allow the sandwich to sit in the pan covered for a few more minutes.)
- Slice with a serrated knife and enjoy!