Zombie gingerbread men
When you think of gingerbread men, you probably think of the adorable cookies that adorn your Christmas dessert platters. Well, let us warn you, these aren't those sweet cookies you decorate with the kids. These gingerbread men have fallen prey to a serious virus, leaving them hungry for the flesh of their fellow men. In other words, they are zombies!
They may look kind of cute with their little chocolate buttons, but don't let them fool you. These gingerbread men are anything but innocent. Make these spooky cookies for your Halloween parties and soirees for a unique treat this Oct. 31. However, you've been warned. We can't say that one bite won't leave you infected!
Zombie gingerbread men
Recipe adapted from All Recipes
Yields about 10 cookies
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup milk or water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, soft (or shortening)
- Decorative icing gel
- In a large bowl, beat butter (or shortening) with sugar until creamed. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, ginger and salt. Carefully mix the dry ingredients into the wet ones, alternating with the molasses and milk until just combined. Cover mixture with foil or plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour.
- Once mixture has chilled, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the gingerbread for about one minute. Using a floured rolling pin, roll the dough to about one-quarter-inch thickness. Using a lightly floured gingerbread man cookie cutter, cut out shapes. On every four cookies, remove the head, leg or arm (to make them appear as zombies). You can also shape some of the dough into axes or knives for props.
- Place the men and appendages onto the baking sheets. Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from sheets and let cool completely before you decorate.
- Once cookies have cooled, decorate with icing gel to make them appear as zombies. Use a ton of the red to make blood and green so they appear infected!