Gluten-free Friday: Easy sausage and shrimp gumbo
Is it a soup? A stew? Whatever you decide, this recipe for easy sausage and shrimp gumbo is full of great ingredients to satisfy your hunger.
With origins in Louisiana, you know gumbo is going to be good! There are many ways to make gumbo as well as many ingredients to include, but this recipe is an easy option that will make a great gluten-free meal without much fuss.
Try this recipe for beefy bean soup >>
You could use just sausage, or just shrimp in your version, or use both like this recipe does, for great taste! Don't like okra? Toss in some green beans instead. Add more red pepper if you like it spicy or less if you don't. No matter how you stir it, this recipe for easy sausage and shrimp gumbo is a favorite for a gluten-free Friday meal!
Easy sausage and shrimp gumbo
- 1/2 pound gluten-free Andouille sausage, casings removed and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces okra or green beans (if using frozen, thaw first)
- 1 cup gluten-free vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Add the canola oil to a large Dutch oven or heavy pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the green pepper, celery, onion and garlic and cook for about three minutes.
- Add the sausage, diced tomatoes, stock, okra or green beans and the seasonings, stir and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once a boil is reached, reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Allow to cook for about five minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the mixture, and cook for about three to five minutes or until the shrimp turn pink.
- Remove the bay leaf and turn off the heat. Add the cooked rice to the mixture and stir well to combine.
Serve up this tasty dish for a gluten-free Friday meal!