Halloween is just a week away, so it’s time to add a little spook to all of your normal recipes, including your after-school snacks and hors d’oeuvres! These spooky spider snacks are the perfect way to creep out your family and friends this Halloween, especially if they hate creepy crawly insects!
Nothing will freak out our skittish friends, family and neighbors quite like a plate of these creepy spiders! Made from popular snacks like deviled eggs and stuffed olives, these crawlies taste really good, that is, if you can get over eating a spider!
Spider deviled eggs
Recipe adapted from Sunset
Serves about 6
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whole black olives
- Once hard-boiled eggs have cooled, carefully peel off shell and discard. Cut each egg in half vertically, scoop out the yolk and place into a large bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, minced shallot, white vinegar, salt and pepper and mustard to the bowl, mix to combine. Add additional mayonnaise and salt and pepper to taste. Fill each egg half with about 1 tablespoons of filling.
- To make spiders, cut the olives in half. Place one half of the olive cut side down in the middle of the egg filling. Cut the rest of the olive into slices vertically. Then, position four olive slices around the olive in the center (to create spider legs).
- Garnish with spider webs and enjoy!
Spooky olive spiders
Serves about 12
- 12 stuffed green olives
- 96 rosemary leaves
- Using the toothpick, prick four little holes into each side of the green olive. Then, carefully stick a rosemary leaf (or sprig) into each of the holes. Then prick two holes above the stuffed opening of the olive (to give the spider eyes). Repeat until all of your olives look like spiders!