With cool weather and family visiting for the holidays, edible apple and pear cups are a fun and impressive way to serve a warm spicy apple cider recipe
Warm spiced apple cider is served in edible fruit cups, making it a fun holiday drink recipe especially if kids are involved. Hollowed out apples and pears make a unique alternative to the usual ceramic mug this beverage is served in.
Apple and pear cider cups recipe
- 6 apples (fuji, honey crisp, Red Delicious, gala)
- 6 red pears
- 1 liter good-quality apple cider
- 4 cinnamon sticks (more for garnish but optional)
- 2 whole star anise (more for garnish but optional)
- 2 lemons, halved
- With a knife remove the tops of all of the apples and pears. Begin hollowing out each of the pieces of fruit and place on a serving try. Sprinkle the juice of the lemons over the apples and pears to prevent browning.
- In a large pot, add the apple cider and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and add the cinnamon sticks and star anise. Cover and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks and star anise and ladle the warm cider into the apple and pear cups.
- Garnish with additional cinnamon sticks and star anise. Serve warm.