Sweet potato casserole is one of the most popular side dishes served at the holidays. While it can be kind of boring and, at times, almost like dessert, we put a fun twist on this classic side dish.
Sweet potato casserole is one of our most beloved side dishes during the holidays. With so many ways to prepare it, ranging from bland to overly sweet, it is a dish that can become rather dull or unimpressive. Here we put a super-fun twist on this favorite and used hollowed oranges as the bowls, transforming it into a dish that is a crowd-pleaser.
Streusel sweet potato casserole in orange bowls recipe
Inspired by the curvy carrot
- 6 large oranges, halved and hollowed out
- 4 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened, plus an additional 3 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk or plain skim milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large baking dish, arrange all of the orange cups and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the mashed sweet potatoes, the eggs, one-half cup of the brown sugar, salt, vanilla, 1/4 cup of the softened butter and milk mixing well. Add heaping spoonfuls of the sweet potato mixture to each of the orange cups until all the cups are filled.
- In a separate mixing bowl add the flour, the remaining brown sugar, remaining butter and the chopped pecans mixing well. Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the top of each orange bowl. Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Serve warm.