Pancakes are one of America’s most nostalgic foods. Our memories of pancakes throw us back to when we were kids, sitting around the family table on a Sunday morning. Pancakes are meant to breed memories.
It’s the perfect time of year to put a healthy and gluten-free pumpkin twist on your pancakes that your whole family will remember, fall after fall.
Gluten-free pumpkin pancakes
Yields 15-20 medium-sized pancakes
- 1-1/4 cups gluten-free brown rice flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups hemp milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 tablespoon allspice
- 1/2 cup organic pumpkin puree
- In a medium to large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and baking powder. Then begin to mix in your milk, olive oil and beaten egg. Mix well until there are no visible lumps and it’s a smooth batter consistency.
- Mix in your pumpkin puree and mix until smooth.
- Oil a medium to large griddle and place on stove at medium to high heat.
- When the griddle is hot, take a large spoon and start pouring the batter onto the griddle, creating two to three 4-inch pancakes
- When the top of the pancake has bubbled, flip the pancakes over and wait until golden-dark on bottom (will be darker than typical pancakes, so don’t worry too much if they appear burnt).
- Serve with organic maple syrup and enjoy.