Who doesn’t like a hearty, warming meal on a chilly night? This meatless version of a traditional shepherd’s pie is the ticket!
Put together an easy, meatless version of a traditional shepherd’s pie. This option is great on a Meatless Monday, and it only takes a short time to pull together.
Check out this recipe for sun-dried tomato frittata >>
Shepherd’s pie is a dish with origins in the United Kingdom. Typically made with beef, this revamped dish combines vegetables with veggie-based ground beef-style crumbles. Top it with mashed potatoes and bake it for an all-in-one dish. Very similar to a casserole, easy, meatless shepherd’s pie is a perfect option to serve on a chilly evening.
All the good stuff
No doubt you’ve heard about the many positive aspects to eating a plant-based diet — it can help keep your weight down, fight diseases, reduce pollution and even help you avoid risk from foodborne illnesses. On top of that, you’ll experience all types of new foods and flavors you may never have otherwise experienced, which can be fun!
Try this recipe for creamy pasta with spinach and peas >>
Easy, meatless shepherd’s pie
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound veggie-based ground beef-style crumbles
- 10 ounces mixed frozen veggies (or frozen veggies of your choice)
- 6 servings instant mashed potatoes, prepared
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the olive oil to a saute pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions, turn the heat down slightly and cook until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic, crumbles, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and about one-half cup of water. Add the dried herbs. Mix well and cook for about three minutes, allowing some of the liquid to become absorbed.
- Once most of the liquid has absorbed, turn off the heat, add the frozen vegetables, mix well to incorporate and set aside.
- Prepare six servings of instant mashed potatoes.
- Spray a baking dish with the nonstick cooking spray. Add the crumble and veggie mixture, then spread the prepared mashed potatoes over the top of them, evenly.
- Sprinkle the top of the potatoes with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes. The juice from the inside should begin to bubble up when it is finished. Set the oven to broil, just for about a minute, until the potatoes brown just slightly.
Dig into this delightful dish!