Sunday Dinner: Spaghetti with sausage and kale
There are more ways to serve spaghetti than you can imagine! Break free from the standard tomato sauce options and give spaghetti with sausage and kale a try.
Switch up spaghetti
This recipe for spaghetti with sausage and kale is a bit of a switch from traditional spaghetti dinners. Instead of meatballs, this dish calls for sausage (which could also be veggie-based) and healthy and hearty kale to add a touch of green. Top with a sprinkling of cheese and toasted pine nuts for the finishing touch. Your family won't miss the traditional tomato sauce because this dish tastes great without it. Grab a fork and twirl to your heart's delight — this dish is perfect for a family dinner!
Reach for this recipe for pasta with low-fat walnut pesto >>
Celebrate while you learn
Columbus Day is recognized across the country on Monday, Oct. 8. That means most kids will have the day off from school. Take some time during or after dinner to make plans to enjoy the day! Consider some fun ways to incorporate learning about Columbus Day with a few great family-friendly activities.
Spaghetti with sausage and kale
- 1/2 pound of your favorite spaghetti
- 1 pound of your favorite Italian sausage (you can also use veggie-based sausages), casings removed and sausage crumbled or cut into small pieces
- 1/2 pound kale, stems removed and leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- 2 ounces toasted pine nuts for garnish
- Add the olive oil to a saute pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the sausage and cook until it's browned, or about five to seven minutes.
- Meanwhile, add about four quarts of water to a large pot over high heat. When the water begins to boil, add the kale and blanche it, uncovered, for three to five minutes. When finished, remove the kale and put it in a colander. When the kale is cool to the touch, press out some of the excess water while it's in the colander. Reserve the cooking water.
- Add the spaghetti to the water used to cook the kale and cook until it's al dente.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, add the kale to the sausage and cook for a few minutes before adding the broth. As the sausage and kale cook, scrape the pan and stir the mixture.
- When the spaghetti is finished cooking, drain it, add it to the sausage and kale mixture and mix well until the ingredients are incorporated.
- Put the spaghetti mixture in a large serving bowl, serve in individual bowls and top with the Parmesan cheese.
Enjoy an out-of-the-ordinary spaghetti dinner!