Boozy caramel apple ice cream
Whomever said you can't have ice cream for dessert in the fall has never had this boozy caramel apple pie flavor. Made with chunks of tart apples, your favorite spiced rum, cinnamon and crushed graham crackers, each spoonful tastes like a piece of your grandma's famous Thanksgiving pie. Top with a generous drizzle of homemade caramel sauce for one decadently sinful dessert!
The only thing better than ice cream on pie is ice cream that tastes like pie, are we right? This boozy ice cream tastes just like a piece of apple pie, complete with a crunchy crust! We paired our luscious ice cream with spiced rum, but bourbon works just as well! Just beware, you'll never want regular pie again. The addition of the rum makes this ice cream soft and custardy, and perfectly scoopable even after a few days of freezing.
Boozy caramel apple pie ice cream
Recipe inspired by Serious Eats.
Serves about 8
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2-1/2 cups light or heavy cream
- 1/2 cup spiced rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 tablespoons apple pie spice
- 1 cup chopped apples
- 4 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
- Homemade caramel sauce (use this recipe)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the milk and sugars until sugars are completely dissolved. Add in cream, rum, vanilla and spice, mix well.
- Stir in one-half cup apples. Cover mixture with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Once chilled, pour mixture into the freezer canister of an ice cream maker. Turn on and let churn for at least 20 minutes or until ice cream starts to thicken up. Ten minutes into the churning add remaining apples and three tablespoons graham cracker crumbs.
- Serve immediately with a hefty spoonful of caramel, remaining graham cracker crumbs and enjoy!