Turn an ordinary taco-flavored cheese ball into a surprisingly funny centerpiece for your next spa-themed event by molding the sphere of cheese into a woman’s face then decorating it to look like she’s getting a facial.
It’s simple to do using an inexpensive plastic face mask as a mold. Once the cheese is transformed into a face, a guacamole mask is applied, cucumbers are set over the eyes, ruby red pepper lips are applied. To complete the look, the woman’s head is wrapped not in a towel, but in mozzarella cheese.
- 2 (8 ounce) blocks cream cheese, softened
* Note: I prefer the flavor of guacamole on the cheese ball, but you may just like pureed avocado. If you are using store-bought or fresh guacamole, strain it through a fine mesh strainer to remove all of the chunky bits. If you need to decorate your cheese ball several hours before your party, you might opt for coloring sour cream with green food coloring and using it as the mask.
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1-2 tablespoons taco seasoning
(season it to your taste)
- 1 fresh mozzarella cheese roll
- 1/2 cup guacamole or pureed avocado*
- 2 slices cucumber
- 1 roasted red pepper
- Plastic female face mask
- Food handling gloves (optional)
Wash the face mask with warm soapy water. Dry. Line it with a piece of plastic wrap. In a bowl, combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese and taco seasoning. Stir well to combine.
Press the cheese mixture into the face mask.
Smooth out the top surface then fold the plastic wrap up over the cheese and smooth out even more. You can, if you want, refrigerate the cheese ball at this point for up to a week.
If you want to decorate it now, just unmold it and set it on a serving platter. The woman’s skin will be very wrinkled. Use your finger to smooth away the wrinkles.
Unroll the mozzarella cheese roll onto a cutting board. The two ends of the roll won’t open up too flat, but you will easily be able to cut out a 10 to 12-inch piece of flat cheese. Cut that piece in half lengthwise. The underside of the cheese, although wrinkled, is much more smooth than the top.
Flip both slices of cheese over and make sure the top side shows when placed on the face. It will really look like a towel. Pick up one strip of cheese and set it at a diagonal across the left side of the face.
Press the cheese up against the head. You want to form the cheese around the top and side of the head, then cut off the excess cheese.
Lay the second piece of cheese in the opposite diagonal direction across the right side of the face and repeat the process.
Spread guacamole or pureed avocado over the face. Try to spread the guacamole in an oval over the face, leaving some of the pale orange cheese ball showing.
Place cucumber slices over the eyes.
Cut lips out of roasted red pepper and place on face.
Serve with crackers.