Salad greens and beans are piled together in this delightful Meatless Monday meal. With added seasonings and a few extra ingredients, this simple dish takes a turn to delicious.
Simple effort, delicious meal
Isn’t it great when you can put together a simple, filling meal without much effort and end up with something amazing? This recipe for warm white bean and arugula salad is the perfect fix for a Meatless Monday meal.
Try this winning combo and recipe for pasta e fagioli (pasta and beans) >>
Bring on the beans
Beans are high in protein and fiber, low in fat and cholesterol, and make a good replacement food for meats due to their nutritional content and great texture and flavor. Cutting meat from your diet, even once a week like on a Meatless Monday, may reduce your risk of chronic preventable conditions like cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity.
Warm white bean and arugula salad
- 1 (15 ounce) can Great Northern or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups arugula salad greens
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- Shaved Parmesan cheese for topping (optional)
- Divide the arugula greens between two plates.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-low heat in a saute pan. When hot, add the onions and cook until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes (be careful not to burn).
- Add the beans and lemon juice and stir to coat. Season with the salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. After just a minute or two, when the beans are warmed, remove from the heat.
- Top the arugula with the beans and juices and garnish with the Parmesan cheese.
A simple meal can be an amazing meal!