Meatless Monday: Jerk veggies and tofu with grilled pineapple
Looking to add a little mealtime spice to your life? For a Meatless Monday meal, give this recipe for jerk veggies and tofu a try. Served up with grilled pineapple, you'll feel like you’re on a Jamaican vacation!
Spice up mealtime
This Meatless Monday meal heads to the islands! Jerk veggies and tofu with grilled pineapple couldn't be easier to make, and your guests will think they've been transported to paradise when you serve up this dish.
Find out why tofu is so good to eat >>
A traditional seasoning in Jamaica, jerk seasoning is commonly used on meats like chicken or pork, but there's no reason to keep it from other foods like garden vegetables or tofu. The main flavorings for the seasoning are allspice and Scotch bonnet peppers, which are among the hottest. For this recipe, habañero peppers, which are also hot but easier to find, replace the Scotch bonnets. You could also use a jalapeño pepper or maybe even a banana pepper for a more mild flavor.
Tofu can be a great addition to your meal, especially for this dish, since it easily picks up the flavors of the seasoning. House Foods Tofu offers a variety of tofu products, including Tofu Shirataki noodles that are high in fiber and low in calories and carbs. Adding tofu to your diet comes with benefits. Consider what tofu offers:
- Excellent source of protein
- Low in calories and sodium
- Great source of calcium and iron
What's not to like about that?
Jerk veggies and tofu with grilled pineapple
For the seasoning
- 2 small habañero peppers, seeded
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 green onions, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the veggies and tofu
- 2 large zucchini, sliced and cut into wedges
- 2 large potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 large white onion, cut into wedges
- 10-15 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 12 ounces House Foods Organic Tofu Extra Firm, drained and patted dry with paper towel, sliced 1/4-inch thick, then cut into cubes.
- 8 pineapple rings
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
For the seasoning
- Combine all the seasoning ingredients into a food processor and pulse until the mixture is a paste consistency. Set aside.
For the vegetables and tofu
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat and turn on your oven broiler.
- Brush the seasoning onto all the veggies and one side of the tofu.
- Place the tofu on a baking sheet, seasoned side up.
- Thread the onion wedges on metal skewers and place the tomatoes, zucchini and potatoes in a grill basket.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar on both sides of the pineapple slices.
- Grill the onions for about 10-15 minutes, turning so they don't burn, then the tomatoes, zucchini and potatoes for about five minutes.
- Remove when done and cover with foil to keep warm. Turn off grill.
- Add the pineapple slices to the hot grill and cook for about a minute on each side, just so grill marks appear.
- Meanwhile, broil the tofu for about four minutes, then flip the pieces and broil for another four minutes.
- Serve with the pineapple slices on the side.
Nothing like a little spice for a Monday!