Love family movie night? Turn up the volume on your movie night snacks with these ideas.
These days, it’s a small fortune to hit the movie theater. And if you take the whole family? You might need a loan, between the tickets and snacks. So, what’s a gal to do?
Don’t worry — you can have an awesome movie theater experience at home instead. Start by renting a great flick that everyone wants to see. Then, hit the kitchen to whip up these fabulous movie theater-style snacks.
Your family can have all the fun of a movie outing without leaving the comfort of your house.
Movie theater butter popcorn
Want perfect movie theater popcorn? Clarify your butter! By removing the white solids from melted butter, your at-home popcorn is like the kind at the movie theater — but better.
- 6 cups hot plain popped popcorn
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Sea salt
- Place the popcorn in a big bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan on the stove set over medium heat, melt the butter. Skim off any white residue from the top of the butter.
- Drizzle the butter over the popcorn. Sprinkle liberally with sea salt.
Nachos with hot cheese sauce
Love those nachos with the cheese sauce? Create your own at home in about 10 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/4 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Tortilla chips
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until bubbly and well-incorporated. Whisk in the milk until steaming, hot and well-incorporated with the butter mixture.
- Whisk in the cheese until smooth. Season with salt and hot sauce, to taste.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips for dipping
Brown butter five-spice snack mix
Chex Mix is a classic, and this version has sweet-salty charm.
- 1 cup each Wheat, Rice and Corn Chex cereal
- 1 cups cheese crackers
- 1/2 cup small pretzel twists
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the three varieties of Chex, the cheese crackers and pretzels.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter, stirring occasionally until it just begins to brown. Pour immediately over the cereals, crackers and pretzels. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with Chinese five-spice powder and salt. Toss to coat.
- Spread the mixture into a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Cook in the preheated oven for one hour, stirring every 20 minutes. Eat it hot from the oven or let it cool and store in an airtight container.