Tonight's Dinner: Watermelon and chicken kebabs recipe
Watermelon is that wonderful summertime fruit that cools you off and leaves you feeling refreshed at all times of the day and night. So why limit yourself to eating it plain as a snack or dessert? Instead, why not add it to your favorite protein for a delicious dinnertime treat?
It's summertime and that means all sorts of fruits are available for you to munch on. Yes, there are the numerous varieties of stone fruits, but there are also a wonderful array of melons that are just as juicy and a nice change of pace when you tire of the peaches and pluots.
Now you may think melons are perfect all by themselves, blended into juices or wrapped with meats and cheeses for a fun appetizer. But believe it or not melons can be a fun and colorful addition to entrees as well. Watermelon, for example, goes amazingly well with both chicken and shellfish. Cutting the red melon into chunks and threading them onto skewers with grilled chicken can be a new and exciting way to have your dinner. These little kebabs could be so much fun in fact, you may want to serve them on picnic blankets in the backyard.
Watermelon & chicken kebabs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- Juice of 3 limes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 cups of watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (8 ounce) container fresh mozzarella balls
- Whisk together the oil, lime zest, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Place the chicken breasts into a resealable bag and pour the lime marinade over them. Seal the bag and refrigerate for at least two hours and up to overnight.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a grill pan over medium-high heat. Transfer the chicken from the bag to the grill pan and cook until no longer pink and charred on both sides, about 12 minutes. Place the chicken on a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut the chicken into one-inch cubes.
- Thread the chicken, watermelon and mozzarella onto skewers and serve.