Didn’t make it to the beach this summer? This recipe for shrimp and corn cakes with lemon-yogurt dressing will have you feeling like you’re at a beachside cookout.
Ease into a new season
There are some things that just taste like summer, like shrimp and corn. Combine the two for a light meal that will help you savor the season just a bit longer. This recipe is great for a Labor Day picnic, when we’ll also bid the summer farewell.
Top these cakes with a light yogurt-based dressing and serve them with a fresh green salad or light pasta dish. You’ll feel like the summer will never end!
Make time for fun
By now, the kids are probably back in class, and you’re all getting used to the routine of the school year. But don’t give up on the fun and relaxing times you had during the summer. Just because summer is over, don’t forget to continue to take time to enjoy each day and each other. Read on to see how you and your family can take part in the top 10 ways to make any day a celebration!
Try this recipe for shrimp tacos with lime dressing >>
Shrimp and corn cakes with lemon-yogurt dressing
For the cakes
- 6-8 ounces frozen, precooked shrimp, thawed, tails removed and diced into small pieces
- 6 ounces corn kernels (thawed if using frozen)
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, more to taste
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
For the dressing
- 6 ounces nonfat, plain Greek-style yogurt
- Juice from one-half lemon
- Zest from one-half lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Dash of salt
- Dash of hot sauce
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper and baking soda and set aside.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, mix together the egg, buttermilk, butter and hot sauce. Add in the shrimp, corn, onion and garlic. Next mix in the cheese.
- Add the cornmeal mixture to the shrimp mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add one tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the batter to the skillet to form three-and-one-half-inch round cakes (you can probably fit three or four at a time). Cook for two or three minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through. Remove and place on a baking sheet and cover with foil.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet for each additional batch of cakes. Continue until the batter is gone.
- Serve warm with the lemon-yogurt dressing.
Even if the season is winding down, you can still savor the tastes of summer!