Easy chickpea sandwich spread is not only super-simple to make, it’s also a yummy and healthy Meatless Monday meal. What more could you ask for?
- Onion slices
- Avocado slices
- Shredded carrots
- Cucumber slices
Sandwiches sometimes get a yawn out of people looking for a quick, healthy and tasty meal. But all you need is a little imagination and a few ingredients to make a delicious Meatless Monday meal with easy chickpea sandwich spread.
Take a look at this recipe for black bean veggie burgers with corn salsa >>
Beans, which include chickpeas (or garbanzo beans as they are also called), are recommended for a healthy diet. They are high in fiber, iron and zinc and are a great source of plant protein.
Studies have shown that chickpeas help to regulate blood-sugar levels and to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. Sounds like a great meal for a variety of reasons!
Easy chickpea sandwich spread
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (or garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne red pepper
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Optional sandwich garnishes: onions, lettuce, tomato slices, cheese
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and pulse a few times. If you don’t have a food processor, first mash the chickpeas in a medium-sized bowl with a fork, then add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Push the mixture down toward the bottom of the processor with a spatula and pulse a few more times. You want the consistency to be a little chunky.
- Serve at room temperature with your favorite sandwich toppings or refrigerate to serve later.
This sandwich is one you’ll reach for often!
Try these Meatless Monday recipes using beans
Escarole pizza with white beans and caramelized onions
Pasta e fagioli (pasta and beans)
Meatless green bean recipes