Meatless Monday: Easy chickpea sandwich spread
Easy chickpea sandwich spread is not only super-simple to make, it's also a yummy and healthy Meatless Monday meal. What more could you ask for?
Tip: If you're up for it, use your favorite sandwich bread and add a variety of ingredients to this sandwich to personalize it. The list is almost endless, but you could try adding some of the following:
- Onion slices
- Avocado slices
- Shredded carrots
- Cucumber slices
Sandwiches sometimes get a yawn out of people looking for a quick, healthy and tasty meal. But all you need is a little imagination and a few ingredients to make a delicious Meatless Monday meal with easy chickpea sandwich spread.
Take a look at this recipe for black bean veggie burgers with corn salsa >>
Beans, which include chickpeas (or garbanzo beans as they are also called), are recommended for a healthy diet. They are high in fiber, iron and zinc and are a great source of plant protein.
Studies have shown that chickpeas help to regulate blood-sugar levels and to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. Sounds like a great meal for a variety of reasons!
Easy chickpea sandwich spread
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (or garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne red pepper
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Optional sandwich garnishes: onions, lettuce, tomato slices, cheese
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and pulse a few times. If you don't have a food processor, first mash the chickpeas in a medium-sized bowl with a fork, then add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Push the mixture down toward the bottom of the processor with a spatula and pulse a few more times. You want the consistency to be a little chunky.
- Serve at room temperature with your favorite sandwich toppings or refrigerate to serve later.
This sandwich is one you'll reach for often!