Watermelon is a delicious summertime treat that kids can’t get enough of during the hot months. And gazpacho is a deliciously filling soup that’s perfect this time of year. Combine the two, and you get the perfect dinner on a hot, humid evening.
Watermelon screams summer to me. There’s nothing better than stuffing chunks of the fruit in your mouth by the handful when the temperature hits the triple digits. But you don’t have to limit yourself to eating the fruit straight off the rind. You can blend it up into smoothies, make Popsicles or add it to salads. You can even use it for soup.
Now I know what your thinking: Who wants to have soup when it’s hot and humid out? I know I don’t. But a cold soup like a gazpacho, that’s another story. Not only will this soup cool you off, it’ll fill you up as well. The fact that it’s delicious, too, makes this a guaranteed summertime hit.
- 3 cups watermelon, cubed and seeded
- 1 cup heirloom tomatoes
- 1 Japanese cucumber, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- Combine the watermelon, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, oil, vinegar and mint in a food processor and process until smooth. Stir in the lime juice. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve immediately.