Beets, figs and arugula are usually reserved for salads or side dishes. But placing them on top of pizza dough makes a delicious summer treat that’s sweet and healthy, too.
I love making pizza at home. With all the fresh ingredients out there, you’re not just limited to mozzarella, pepperoni, mushrooms or sausage. You can have scallions or wild arugula, beef tongue or goat cheese. You can have a thick rich white sauce or no sauce at all. When you make a pizza at home the options really are limitless. And with so many fresh vegetables readily available, it’s a Friday night dinner no brainer.
Sweet beet pizza
- 4 beets, roasted, peeled and sliced.
- 1 (10 ounce) package pizza dough
- 1 cup arugula
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1/2 cup black mission figs, chopped
- 3 slices fresh mozzarella, cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll the dough into a 10-inch diameter, place on a pizza pan and cook the dough for three minutes so it keeps its form.
- Spread the goat cheese over the warm pizza dough. Top with arugula, figs, beets and mozzarella. Cook in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Slice and serve immediately.