Sunday Dinner: Salade nicoise
There are some things that come in only one form to be considered a classic, and there are others that always end up with a few changes here and there. Try this version of a salade nicoise for your next Sunday dinner. It could become a family classic for dinner in your home!
Say "oui" to salad
This classic French salad from the region of Nice has many variations. Same recipes include potatoes, some don't. Some say never to include tuna or salad greens, and some include artichoke hearts. Some even say that none of the vegetables should be cooked.
Try this recipe for grilled veggie burritos >>
We say include what you like and leave out what you don't. One thing that's almost always included: a simple vinaigrette dressing. This recipe includes great basics for a tasty, hearty salad that's easy to put together and perfect on a warm summer night.
Prep some now, some later
This is a meal you can start prepping early, then finish up right before dinner. In the morning, hard-boil your eggs and make the dressing. When it's close to dinnertime, prepare your potatoes and green beans and toss in the remaining ingredients. Voilà!
Try this recipe for Thai beef stir-fry >>
Sit with your kids, pull out a map and look up the country of France. Point out the region of Nice, the area of France where this salad originates. For some extra fun, see if your kids can come up with French words or phrases used in English. Try the following examples. If they don't know the meaning, look them up together:
- à la carte
- bon voyage
- déjà vu
- papier mâché
For the dressing
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed into a paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the salad
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, refrigerated until ready to use, then peeled. Slice in wedges prior to serving.
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed, halved and blanched. Drain and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 1 pound baby potatoes, skin on, roasted
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained and flaked with a fork
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, washed and sliced in half
- 1/4 cup black olives, pitted and sliced in half
- 4 to 6 ounces salad greens
- 4 to 5 anchovy fillets (optional)
- Mix ingredients for the dressing. Chill until ready to serve and mix again before serving.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, add the potatoes, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 10-15 minutes.
- When you're ready for dinner, use a large platter for serving.
- Arrange the lettuce in the middle of the platter with the tuna on top of it. In separate areas around the edges, add the green beans, tomatoes, eggs, potatoes and olives.
- Drizzle the whisked dressing over the top and serve.
This salad satisfies!