Quinoa stuffed peppers recipe
August is the month of bright, fiery-hued vegetables like peppers. Bell peppers are one of the sweetest varieties of peppers and can be enjoyed raw or cooked until tender and mellow. If you're looking for a fun way to cook these bell-shaped beauties without adding any extra heat during the steamy summer months, we have a nutritious slow cooker recipe that the whole family is sure to love.
Quinoa stuffed peppers
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large zucchini, diced finely
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut in 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 large red or yellow bell peppers
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Cut off the top quarter of the peppers and discard the tops. Carefully hollow out the seeds and ribs from the inside of the peppers using a spoon. Set aside.
- Mix all of the remaining ingredients, except for the broth and Parmesan cheese, in a large bowl. Spoon the mixture evenly into the hollowed-out peppers, filling them just about to the top. Place the stuffed peppers into a 5-quart slow cooker. Pour the vegetable broth around the sides.
- Cover and cook on low for about six hours. Top with the Parmesan cheese before serving.