Slow cooker sandwiches: Barbecued shredded chicken sandwiches
Whether you're short on time or you just use yours wisely, slow cooker recipes are so convenient. This recipe for barbecued shredded chicken sandwiches makes a great meal, perfect for an end-of-summer picnic or for fall football tailgate parties!
Grab one of these sandwiches
It doesn't take much effort to pull together these tasty, slow cooker barbecued shredded chicken sandwiches. Toss together some cole slaw, grab some tortilla chips and a dip, and you've got a super-simple (and satisfying) meal. Make this meal for a Saturday picnic in the summer or for a party with friends during football season. What a way to get it together!
Check out this recipe for famous cole slaw >>
Barbecued shredded chicken sandwiches
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 sandwich buns
- 1-2 pints cole slaw
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker with the one-half cup of water.
- Whisk together the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, hot sauce, celery seed and salt until smooth, then pour it over the chicken.
- Cook for about four hours on high heat.
- Take out the chicken, shred it with a fork and knife, return it to the slow cooker and mix it up a bit with the sauce.
- Keep it warm until you're ready to serve on buns topped with your favorite cole slaw.
These sandwiches are great anytime of year!