Tonight's Dinner: Barley stuffed peppers recipe
If you're looking for a quick-and-easy vegetarian dinner recipe, this barley and vegetable stuffed pepper is for you! Made with hearty vegetarian sausage, filling barley and tons of spice, this delicious pepper is packed with flavor. Plus, it's easy to clean up, since it requires just a pan and a fork!
These filling and delicious peppers are quick and easy to make. If you're vegan, just omit the goat cheese! You can completely customize this to fit your tastes. If you'd rather use rice or quinoa, that works just as well!
Vegetarian stuffed peppers recipe
- 2 bell peppers, emptied
- 1/2 cup ground vegetarian sausage
- 1/2 cup barley, cooked
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook about two minutes. Add sausage and cook until browned, about six minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Add barley, chopped basil and pepper to the pan and mix well.
- Stuff peppers with mixture until full. Sprinkle with additional basil leaves, salt and pepper. Top each pepper with about one tablespoon goat cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is browned and melted.