It’s a hot summer night, and you need to get dinner ready. Get your grill fired up! This recipe for land and sea kabobs is easy to make, and grilling up kabobs won’t heat up your kitchen.
Make mealtime fun
This dish offers a little of everything that everyone in the family will enjoy. Steak, salmon and fresh vegetables are a great combination! Get the whole family involved by helping to thread the ingredients on the skewers.
Check out these four mouthwatering kabob recipes >>
Pick your meal
If you plan a bit ahead of schedule, take the family on a trip to the farmers’ market to choose the vegetables you’ll use for this recipe. Zucchini, cherry tomatoes and bell peppers work really well! Local Harvest can help you locate a farmers’ market near you. Just enter your ZIP code and you’ll find a listing of locations near you.
Read about things your kids can learn at the farmers’ market >>
Land and sea kabobs
- 1 pound sirloin steak, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound salmon fillets cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1-inch-thick rounds, then halved
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest from 1 lemon, divided
- 1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more for seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- Juice one lemon and use half the zest, and add it to a large, sealable plastic bag, along with one teaspoon salt and one teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Add the salmon pieces to the bag and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, one teaspoon salt, and one teaspoon ground black pepper to a large, sealable plastic bag. Add the steak pieces to the bag and place it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- When the steak and salmon are finished marinating, thread the steak on two skewers, and the salmon on two skewers.
- Add the olive oil and remaining lemon zest to a bowl and add the vegetables. Toss to coat. Add the veggies to two skewers and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the salmon and steak over medium-high heat for 10 to 12 minutes, turning as you go, until they are done.
- The vegetables will take less time to cook. Put on the grill for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they begin to turn color and char slightly.
- Remove all ingredients from the skewers and serve some of each along with brown rice.
A little of this and a little of that makes a great meal!