Gluten-free Friday: Creamy and light broccoli slaw
Who knew you could break out such a tasty and light slaw, anytime a picnic, cookout or get together rolls around? This recipe for creamy and light broccoli slaw is perfect for the summer season!
Light and creamy
Forget about stopping at the grocery store to pick up a container of heavy coleslaw. This recipe is so easy you'll be able to fix it in no time, flat! And it probably has less fat than the deli-style slaws. We've replaced the heavy mayo with a combination of light mayonnaise and plain Greek-style yogurt. Perfect!
Try this great picnic option for Italian-style potato salad >>
You can do so much with this broccoli slaw! Add it to barbecued pork sandwiches, top your fish tacos with it or simply serve it on the side. It's tasty and light!
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Light and creamy broccoli slaw
- 1 (12 ounce) bag prepackaged broccoli slaw (some have carrots and a little cabbage mixed in)
- 1 large, red apple, diced
- 1/4 cup gluten-free nonfat, plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1/4 cup gluten-free low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest from one-half lemon
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds, chopped for garnish
- Use a large bowl and add the yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice and zest, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix together well. Season to taste.
- Toss in the broccoli slaw and diced apple and mix to combine.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Creamy slaw doesn't have to weigh you down. This recipe is proof!