Gluten-free Goodie of the Week: Brownies with caramel, almond and sea salt frosting
Who doesn't love a good brownie? Whether you're heading to a picnic or holding a fancier gathering, this recipe for gluten-free brownies with caramel, almond and sea salt frosting will cap things off nicely.
You can find many different gluten-free brands of baking mixes (including brownie mixes) on the market now, but you can also easily make your own, using this recipe. Whether you make your brownies using a gluten-free mix or not, they always taste great with a special frosting! The caramel flavor, crunchy almonds and flakes of salt combine perfectly with the chocolaty richness of brownies. What a great dessert!
Try this recipe for devilish chocolate-zucchini cake >
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten free.
Brownies with caramel, almond and sea salt frosting
For the brownies:
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup gluten-free, semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Line an 8 x 8-inch metal baking pan with parchment paper so the paper hangs over the edges slightly.
- In a small bowl, blend the almond meal with the brown rice flour and set aside.
- Use a microwave-safe bowl and add the butter, chocolate chips and salt. Heat for about 10 seconds at a time, stirring after each round, until the chocolate and butter are melted. Blend them together until smooth.
- Allow the mixture to cool for about five minutes.
- Add the sugar to the chocolate mixture, then the eggs, one at a time and mix well.
- Add the dry mixture to the chocolate mixture, and beat with a wooden spoon until everything is combined.
- Add the batter to the lined pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely, then remove them from the pan by lifting them out with the parchment paper. Carefully peel off the paper, place the brownies on a serving platter and add the frosting.
For the frosting:
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, roughly chopped
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, milk and pinch of salt. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring.
- When the mixture boils, reduce the heat and continue to boil for another two minutes, stirring.
- Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- When the mixture is cool, add the confectioners' sugar and whisk it until smooth.
- Add the almonds to the frosting and make sure they're evenly coated. Place the frosting in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes. The frosting will be slightly thin, and you'll have extra left over.
- Carefully spread the frosting over the cooled brownies and sprinkle the sea salt over the top.
- Cut into individual squares and serve.
These brownies are tasty for any occasion!